Sunday, October 28, 2012

Volunteer EMS Training w/PHI helicopter

This post was written by my amazing husband, Justin.

Today was one of mixed emotions for me.  On one hand I was unhappy that I was going to be away from my family for several hours on a day that I normally spend with them.  However, on the other hand I was given the opportunity to train with one of the rescue helicopter companies, PHI, that support our local volunteer EMS.  I enjoy serving my community by volunteering as an EMT as well as chief of our Volunteer Fire Department.  It can be very difficult to see people in their worst moment, but also very rewarding to be able to help those in dire situations.
Our EMS department has relied on the help of PHI  to get our patients to definitive care as fast as possible.  They have always been one of our greatest assets.  This was an opportunity for us, as a department, to train and talk with the flight medic, flight nurse, and pilot in a non-emergency environment and become more familiar with what happens to our patients, after they leave our care.
I have also had the unfortunate privilege of being a passenger in on of these helicopters.  The work these people do in such a small space is amazing. 
If you happen to know anyone in the emergency medical services I would ask that you thank them for what they do.  You never know when you might be in need of their help.



                                                                                              Grammy and the helicopter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...