Monday, April 1, 2013

Potty Training


Yesterday I watched Juliet go into the bathroom and peek out at me. I knew what she was doing by the way she looked. She was doing business. When she came out of the bathroom she grabbed her diaper, waved her arm in the air, and said ''Poo Woos", indicating she had just pottied in her diaper. I have put off potty training her because she doesn't talk very well yet. I'm not sure I can put it off much longer.

 I potty trained Josiah at 20 months. Jada was potty trained by 15 months, except for nights and naptime. Juliet is now19 months so potty training will commence on Tuesday.                                                                                      
When I first potty trained Josiah I used the book "How to Potty Train in Three Days." At least that's what I think it was called. It was an e-book. The techniques have proved to be successful for potty training both Josiah and Jada. I will use these same techniques for Juliet. I don't do everything exactly as the book says to do, because not all the techniques worked for us. I will tell you what works for us though.             

I usually mentally prep myself the day before potty training begins. It really takes a lot of energy for me. If you are naturally bubbly and boisterous it will be a lot easier for you. Today I will make sure my house is clean, laundry is done, and that I have easy meals planned for the next day.

 When we wake up on the morning of potty training day, we will all eat breakfast and get ready for the day. After this, I will enthusiastically explain to Juliet that this is the day that she gets to start using the big girl potty, no more baby diapers. At this point, if you have disposable diapers, you would have the child throw all the diapers away, just be sure the child is ready to be potty trained. We use mostly cloth so this will not be happening, plus she is still young so she may not be ready yet. Next, we will help Juliet take off her pants and diaper. She will just have a shirt on. We will also let her have a special drink. We usually drink water, so we will give her some juice. We want her to drink a lot so she pees a lot. We don't ever force a child to drink. We will also try to give her salty foods to eat so this will make her want to drink more. At this point, we will be stuck to Juliet like glue. 

Next, we will sit her on the potty chair and tell her this is were we go potty. We'll explain that if she needs to potty, make sure she tells Mama. We will play together and watch her like a hawk. As soon as she starts to pee we say "Hurry let's pee in the potty." We will then scoop her up and run to the potty. If any of it makes it in the potty we will make a big deal out of it with lots of excitement, lots of praise, and a treat. We'll never scold her, or say anything negative if she don't make it to the potty. We'll do this process all day and give her lot's of encouragement with as much excitement as we can!  We will remind her often, to tell us if she has to potty. We will use a pull up at night and during naptime. We'll do the same thing the next day, and the next. I really have to remember to keep the excitement up, especially by the third day when it won't be new and exciting to them anymore. After the third day it's usually a lot easier. There will still be accidents, but hopefully by this point shewill be peeing more in the potty than having accidents.
This is what works for us. I will be updating our progress each day on how she is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...