Monday, February 9, 2015

Jackson's Birth Story

               
    

On the 29th I had my midwife appointment. She checked me and said I was only 1 cm and thick. She also said she didn't think I was going to have the baby that week. Well we had a storm  that was suppose to hit that night, so Justin and I decided we would stay the night just in case. We went walking, did some shopping, went out to eat, went up and down the stairs at the hotel, and then settled into our hotel room. I started having a lot of Braxton Hicks. So I took a shower and sat on the exersize ball. The Braxton Hicks contractions started to grow more intense and started to feel more crampy. At about 9:00pm I told Justin I thought we should go to the hospital so I could get checked out. When we got there, they checked me and I was 2-3 cm. By this time I knew I was in labor, and the crontractions were getting stronger. I begged them for the epidural. I pleaded with them. I promised them I was in labor. They called the Dr., and she said that I could get the epidural, but if I didn't have the baby by morning they were taking it out and sending me home. OK! I'll take it!!!



The new nurse went to start an IV on me and it was the worst IV experience ever. I felt like my vein was going to bust open. She was not gentle at all. Even Justin was cringing. Finally she got it in, (wrong I might add. We didn't know it until later) and I was started on fluids. The contractions were picking up and I started crying. I really thought the anesthesiologist wasn't going to make it. Finally he showed up. What a sweet sight he was. He was super nice, and even the shot in the back didn't hurt as much as the IV. He got it it in, all set up and left. I knew something was wrong after 40 minutes, and I was still having to breath through my contractions. It was only suppose to take 20 minutes to take effect. Also I could move my legs easily. I tried to tell the nurses, but they weren't getting it. The pain was dulled, but it still hurt. Not as bad as my other labors though. Soon I started feeling the urge to push. The nurse checked me and said I was about 7 plus. We told her when I get to six, I am going to go fast. They called the Dr. and tried to explain that to her, but she said to call her back when I was 8 cm. OK. Well pretty soon my body really started pushing. The nurse told me to stop pushing. OK. Not happening. She was freaking out. My body pushed again with my help, and I felt the ring of fire so I was not going to stop pushing. Meanwhile the nurse was messing with my legs and mad that I wouldn't  put them how she wanted them. I finally pushed him out! They immediately put him on my chest. His hair was so dark! I couldn't believe it. He was born weighing 6 pounds 12 ounces at 18 1/2 inches long!  Finally the Dr. showed up. She wasn't even paying attention when I delivered the placenta. I would have been better off having him at home. After Jackson got done nursing, I told the nurses I was going to use the bathroom. They were telling me no that I wouldn't be able to walk. I assured them I could and I was going to. (For some reason they had already removed the catheter.) Away I went. That's when they realized that the epidural didn't actually take full effect.  It was by far the worse hospital experience. Not the most painful, but the experience was not fun. I was so glad to finally be done and to hold Jackson. He nursed well and was oh so cute! The postpartum care at the hospital was great after all that. It was such a sweet time to spend with Justin and Jackson. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...